An historic property on Sheridan Circle will be the new home ofthe Latvian Embassy. The Embassy of Latvia purchased 2306Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. from Scott Stinson, son of the President of Donahoeand a restoration architect. Since purchasing the home two years ago, Stinson hasmade several updates and improvements to the interior.
2306 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
The property was once the studio home of artist Alice Pike Barney. Set apart fromits beaux-arts neighbors by its curvilinear front gable and handcrafted appearance, itwas designed in 1902 by Waddy B. Wood. (He was best known for his Georgianhouses such as the Woodrow Wilson House on S Street, N.W.)
The house was rented for three decades following Pike Barney’s death in 1931.Her two daughters gave it to the Smithsonian to use as a cultural center in1968. In 1999 James H. Edmonds, owner of Foxes Music Co. in Falls Church, andhis wife Julie paid the Smithsonian Institution $850,000 for the property touse as a music school. When the Edmonds failed to receive zoning approval for theschool, they put it back on the market for $1,950,000 and sold it to Mr. Stinson.
After the purchase of the home by the Latvian Embassy, the Foreign MissionBoard of Zoning Adjustment approved the conversion of the historic home into achancery. The Latvians will be moving employees from an old chancery at 17thand Webster Streets, N.W. to the new Sheridan Circle location.
The Embassy has vowed to preserve the appearance of the house and only allowpublic access on the first two floors. Bobbie Brewster of ERA was the listingagent, and James Connolly, of Charles E. Smith, represented the buyer.
George and Karen Marcola purchased 3602 Newark St., N.W. for $2,600,000from Joan LeClere. Mr. Marcola is Managing Partner at Kilpatrick, StocktonLLP. The property was built in 1910 on a double lot on one of Cleveland Park’s mostdesirable streets. The impressive four-level home features five bedrooms, four fullbaths, three fireplaces, a library, state-of-the-art kitchen, separate dining room, anelevator, and a heated outdoor pool. Joan LeClere had meticulously renovated theVictorian style-home. Spending nearly $800,000, in updates and improvementsusing one of D.C.’s premier architects, particular attention was paid to preserve thehistorical details. Listed by Elizabeth Patterson of Georgetown Properties, thehome was sold in three days by Nancy Taylor Bubes of Pardoe ERA.
Phil and Gail Savapoulis recently purchased the property located at 2325 SStreet, N.W. from the Estate of Helen S. Taylor for $1,400,000. Mr. Savapoulis isthe contractor of the MCI Center and the new Convention Center. The property wasoriginally part of a Colonial patent of about 600 acres granted by Lord Baltimoreto John Langworth in the 1660s. The house is considered a highly restrained reinterpretationof the Beaux-Arts tradition established on the street and contributes tothe neighborhood unity by its symmetry, proportion, color, and material. Built inthe 1950s, the house is a contemporary complement to the Woodrow WilsonHouse and the Textile Museum across the street. The property was listed by CarolSomerville of Washington Fine Properties and sold by Bobbie Brewster of Pardoe ERA.
2325 SStreet, N.W.
Ruth Knovse purchased 5153 Yuma Street, N.W.from Robin Evans for $870,000. Mrs. Evans’ husband,the late David M. Evans, was a foreign serviceofficer who held posts at American embassies in Moscow, Warsaw, andBelgrade. He was twice awarded the State Department’s Superior Honor Award.
The property was designed by architect Edward R. Spano of the W.C. and A.N.Miller Companies. Based on a vernacular interpretation of Colonial Georgian andFederal motifs, the historic property was listed by Bobbie Brewster of Pardoe and soldby Carol Somerville of Washington Fine Properties. The property located at 2606 Q Street,N.W. recently sold for $2,600,00 to David A. Deckelbaum, the president of SettlementCorporation. The seller, Gerald S.J. Cassidy is founder and CEO of Cassidy andAssociates, a government relations firm. Some highlights of the property include anelevator, media room, and sauna.
Shelagh O’Rourke and Stephan J. Dix sold 1704 Q Street, N.W. for $994,000 toHillary T. and Matthew A. Brill. Mrs. Brill is an associate with the law firm,Covington & Burling, and Mr. Brill is a legal advisor with the FederalCommunications Commission.
Other District sales included 5629 Oregon Avenue, N.W. whichwas sold by James T. O’Hara and Lionel C. Epstein and the GambleDescendents Trust to James Roth Epstein and Sara G. Epstein for$1,096,000. Janet and Dawson and Douglas Clark sold 5721 PotomacAvenue to Bonnie Knickerbocker and Randall Gibson for $1,175,000.
Alfred and Eugenia Alonso sold 10301 Irongate Road in Potomac,Maryland to Robert and Leslie Cohen. The property was listed at$1,895,000 and sold for $1,750,000. Leslie Cohen is an attorney with a prestigiousD.C. law firm. The purchasers previously owned a home in Avenel but werelooking for more land and square footage.
Like a private country club, the property boasts a wooded lot with tenniscourts, and a 10,000-square-foot residence. Built in the 1970s, it was recentlyupdated and redesigned to include a rustic Italian kitchen, a library, a magnificent 2-story living room with two seating arrangements, and an upper gallery for displayingartwork. The house includes three finished levels and a traditional exterior.Krystyna Litwin of Long and Foster listed the property.
Mr. and Mrs. Paulson sold their home at 11202 River View Drive in Potomac for$1,705,000, after Lockheed Martin relocated Mr. Paulson. Andrew and Cary Blairpurchased the property, which was built only five years ago by Ted Visnick ofMitchell and Best. Custom built, the 2- story house is highly traditional in style. Itfeatures a wooded lot and a private rose garden.
Timothy and K.C. Junkin sold their home at 11011 Glen Road in Potomac toStephen J. and Lizette H. Chanock for $1,320,000. Dr. Chanock is a physicianat the National Institutes of Health, and Mr. Junkin is of the D.C. law firm Asbill,Junkin, Moffitt, and Boss. The property features over six acres and a pool.
Ayse A. Ariturk purchased a home at Loch Lomond Drive in Bethesda fromJames H. and K.E. Wilkins, Jr. The contemporary- style property was listed at$1,050,000 and sold for $1,000,000.
Channel 9 WUSA news anchor Monika Samtani and Sameer Samtanipurchased a home on River Oaks Lane in Potomac from Joel A. and B.D. Reiskinfor $945,000. Mr. Samtani is an adjunct instructor of radiology at GeorgeWashington University School of Medicine.
204 S. St. Asaph Street was listed and sold by Susan Gray of Pardoe ERA. The OldTown property had been used as a CEO executive residence by Jack Cergol of theNational Spa and Pool Institute. After being on the market for just one hour, itwas purchased by Peggy Binzel, executive director of the National Cable andTelevision Association. The 1905 Edwardian-style house had been immaculatelyrestored. Located on one of Old Town’s most historic andprestigious streets, it features five bedrooms, threeand a half baths, original moldings, high ceilings, restored pine flooring, anda cherry-paneled library. The property also includes a secluded garden and separateapartment with a private entrance.
204 S. St. Asaph Street
In Great Falls, Robert W. Pittman sold 249 SpringvaleRoad to Yuri A. and Leila Koshkin for$980,000. Mr. Koshkin is president of the TridentGroup, an international risk-management company.Mr. Pittman is co-Chief Operating Officer of AOL Time Warner.The contemporary home, built in 1988, features five bedrooms.
Other Virginia sales included 101 Wolfe Street, which was sold by John andCornelia Hall for $1,360,000. Located in the southeast quadrant of Old Town, theproperty features a pool and walled garden. Martha L. and Bruce E. Chubb sold100 Quay St. to Patrick F. and Barbara A. Bassett for $1,075,000.
Corrections to November Real Estate News:
Elizabeth Maleski purchased 1832 16th Street, N.W. in April 2001 for $ 1 million.She renovated the property, and it is now on the market for $1.4 million.