What you missed in 2011, high-heeled ice skates, DKNY designs hockey jerseys and the worst-dressed man of the week.
By Nichole Devolites
Now that 2011 has come to a close, let’s reflect back on some of the weird, wacky and downright craziest fashion trends we’ve seen.
Other things you may have missed in 2011:
- The Beijing opening of the new McQueen store. Take a look at the video footage. Yes, those dresses are made out of plates.
- Prada’s luxury headphones. Yep – if you didn’t find a pair under the tree this holiday season, never fear – they are still available. Not chic enough? Try Oscar de la Renta’s pair instead.
- The “gaudy” line outside of the Ugg store in Manhattan. No, these are no longer acceptable in public – even if the person next to you is wearing them IN line to get INTO the store. Eloquently put by Brian Moylan, they are “winter crocs”.
- Oliver Theyskens puts himself in women’s shoes… literally. He makes sure that each pair he designs are “walkable”.
- The seizure of $76.8M in fake luxury goods.
- The Queensland University of Technology study that shoppers don’t like being touched. (Note: See also the after-Christmas shoe sale fight at Saks Fifth Avenue in New York.)
- Your Missoni order from Target. It looks as though those orders will be fulfilled after all and for FREE.
A new year equals a brand new year of fashion – for all ages. According to Roger Vivier, even little girls should be well-heeled in 2012. I wonder if Katie Holmes and Suri Cruise will now be able to match?
What about after a long day of walking/skating? Your feet deserve something that should never leave the house – Baby-Alpaca slippers.
Something else to look for in 2012 a newly-revamped Bebe. That’s right. They have realized that trashy doesn’t equal sales but tamer office-friendly separates do and wait for it… as well as a bridal line. According to their sources, they are maturing. I’d agree except I still can’t get the image of gold lamé out of my head.
If you are looking for new pre-fall trends, look no further.
- A-line dresses are IN for pre-fall. This style is flattering on almost any lady and judging from some of the sneak peeks, they are oh so chic.
- Matching your wallpaper, or a Rorschach test with these head-spinning outfits.
- Stripes, stripes and more stripes.
- Belted coats
Pre-fall collections worth noting:
Also a must-see: The New York Rangers in DKNY practice jerseys. According to sources, this is part of DKNY’s pre-fall collection, which means these guys get it before anyone else. At least they will stay warm (and covered) in the freezing cold during their outdoor game, unlike these shoppers in Madrid.
In a less-than-shocking discovery, men don’t actually shop. They stockpile. I can confirm this revelation by walking into my boyfriend’s closet.
Someone else who may stockpile the same articles of clothing: Kim Jong-Un, whom according to WWD is the worst-dressed man of the week.